Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trip to the Moon (Rxn Paper)

                 This film was released more than a century ago and the first manned moon landing of Apollo 11 is more than half a century later. It’s safe to say that the people of 1902 would have put this in the same category as Futurama is to us. In other words, the movie “Trip to the Moon” would have been called a SciFi comedy. As I try to imagine myself in the front row of the theater when this first screened, I think I would have been fascinated. I would have fantasized about going to the moon as I would have with time travelling today. During this time, people would have been asking questions like, “What is the surface of the moon like? Is it smooth and flat or is it as jagged as Earth?”, “Is there life on the moon? If so, what would they look like?”, “Is it habitable as Earth is?”, “Would I be able to live there?”. The script writer for this film showed his interpretation and attempted to answer these questions. And I probably would have agreed with him.
                I realized that at the point in time where humans have successfully mastered time-travel or teleportation, we would be looking back at the scifi we have today and probably think that we were way off the mark when we imagined these things like how this film is to us. But it is also very satisfying to know that what was once fiction can turn into a reality. So the next time someone ridicules your fantasies and tell you, “In your dreams!”, be inspired, because every bit of technology we have now was, at one point in time, a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment