Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Battle with Cancer

                The listening session for the podcast “The Rhetoric of Cancer” had been a tear-jerking one for me as I had been trying to sympathize with the speakers.
                I had recently lost a batchmate because of cancer and the heart-breaking visit at her funeral seemed fresh all of a sudden while I was listening to the podcast. Friends and relatives had been crying as I stood as distant as possible to keep myself from wailing. Things happened so fast…she just graduated from college, a magna cum laude at that, and gone in an instant like it had only been a short trip and nothing more.  I had only heard stories of her getting seriously ill; but she had to go through all the medications and the pained concern of her parents. It was a battle she lost.
                The podcast had been talking about how much a battle to fight cancer is but we are always unsure of who’ll be overcome by whom until one dies. Then one line a speaker said registered to my head, “I’m not even a fighter. How am I supposed to fight cancer?” Then it hit me – If I were diagnosed with cancer one day, how am I going to spend my time?

                Will I skip the medications and just live my remaining time to the fullest with my loved ones? Or will I put up a fight against cancer until it gets kicked out of my system? This I do not know unless I am the one to experience it. But with the current technology we have, discoveries may have already been near the point when cure for cancer is already feasible and is at reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment