Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Trip to the Moon Reaction Paper

As a viewer from a century later, I find 1902’s “A trip to the moon” quite entertaining and funny. The film itself, the way it’s made is already funny. Of course, what do you expect from a film made 100 years ago? I find their ideas absurd, a canon to fire a bullet-shaped ship to space, lunar inhabitants and the face of the moon. Of course, I can say this now because I have the knowledge about these things and great expectations of what a film should be. But of course, I also adored it as it is genuine. The fact that it is a black and white and a silent film makes it look antique – which is beautiful.

But if I were living during the time that it was first screened, I would definitely think the other way around. I would be fascinated about their bright ideas, I mean, firing a bullet-shaped ship to the moon through a canon? That’s a great way to go to the outer space! To think that they are not yet exposed to the advance technology we have today, firing a bullet-shaped ship through a canon is the best way, even I, could think of (Of course, if I was living in the 1900’s). It would make me feel curious about astronomy, everything in space, including the moon. Do those creatures really live in the moon? Just like today, we are wondering about other possible planet where living creatures could exist. And as a man from 1902, we would not know much about these things and the film would be a real hit to the people. I would also love the fact that it is funny. I mean, the face of the moon? And the ship that the canon fired hit the moon in the eye? Literally bullseye!


The thing is, whenever you are from, whatever year you watched this film, you would enjoy it as well as be fascinated by how people think during the 1900’s. I think this short film did contribute to the scientific knowledge and technologies we have today by inspiring people during the time it was first screened. The fact that it ignited people’s minds and curiosity with a splash of creative and funny visuals make it a great film overall. It really deserves rank 84 at The Village Voice’s 100 greatest films of the 20th century.

No comments:

Post a Comment