Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Trip to the Moon (Reaction Paper)

Written by: Denise Anne Castro, 2013-14434


A Trip to the Moon


            The experience of watching a film is very new to me. The fact that all this cinematic magic is imprinted on a strip of film is equal parts peculiar and impressive. This is an amazing feat, indeed. I’ve been hearing great reviews of this film from my friends and I hope that it levels up to my high expectations. I’ve always been a fan of Georges Méliès. In fact, the very first film I’ve watched was his 1899 masterpiece “Robbing Cleopatra’s Tomb”. I have not forgotten that short amount of time I was hooked on screen. I’m ecstatic that I will be experiencing this rare treat of watching a film again.

            “A Trip to the Moon” is such an alluring title. The moon is a familiar feature of the night sky. Every single night, it shines light upon Earth. Planning a voyage to the moon seems to me, beyond the bounds of possibility and this is one of the reasons why I want to watch this film.

The film starts out with a meeting among elderly men. They sport long white beards. They get into chaos while laying out their plans. The scene transitions to the site of construction of a huge space capsule. When it is finished, the astronomers are launched into space from a cannon with the help of women in sailor outfits. The moon is portrayed as a face with human features. The space capsule hits his right eye. The scene after that shows the landing of the capsule again but this time, it lands on the flat terrain of the moon. I wonder why the same scene is depicted in different ways. As the astronomers sleep, different heavenly bodies appear. When they wake up, they explore the moon and get attacked by aliens inhabiting the moon. Failing to fight all of them, they are kept captive and sent to the aliens’ leader. They succeed in their attempt to escape and go back to Earth. The last scene celebrates the astronomers’ return.

The plot line was enough to keep me off the edge of my seat. I felt as if I was on the adventure myself. The props were very creative. It is amazing how people these days can be so inventive when it comes to depicting the Earth and outer space. I can just imagine the amount of time they put into constructing these sets. The costumes used were just as artistic. The actors did an excellent job at portraying astronomers. I felt their panic and excitement upon reaching the moon. To top it all off, the musical score was enchanting. It contributed to the whole feel of the movie. It brought the whole film together.


I must say, that was the most amusing 17 minutes of my life. I no longer see the moon as merely a source of light at night. When I look up the sky at night, my mind will linger on the creatures and plants that tread upon the moon’s face. I can’t wait until humans actually launch a successful trip to the moon in real life. Sadly, it seems impossible. As of now, this will still remain a fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment