Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Time Travel

Personally, I like the concept of time travel. I like watching films about time travelling such as Back to the Future, The Time Traveler's Wife, and the Japanese animated film The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. The thing that I like the most about it is that time travel affords people the chance to relive the past or possibly to experience the future. However, this comes with a price. There are almost always a logical "hole" that all stories about time travelling has to settle first. Thus, it is understandable that scientists want to provide a logical explanation of how such a complicated concept can exist.

I do believe that a so-called "universal standard" of time is impossible because how we perceive time is arbitrary. It's very impossible to synchronize my watch with those of all of my group mates', for example. But, I find some of the theories unconvincing. I was especially skeptical about the gravity-related theories (ie., Cosmic Strings, Cosmic Loops). I have read an article that photons cannot travel faster than the speed of light--nothing can! Yet, these theories propose expending tons of resources on defying the limits of physics.

Having said that, I believe that the theories about time travel using time dilation are difficult but possible. It states that time passes more slowly for a person travelling at a faster speed. This theory follows laws of physics, thus it is possible. The only problems I can imagine are the amount of energy it would take to propel someone to either the past or future and the matter of controlling time travel.

I am hoping that time travel can come true through science.

2010-79267


No comments:

Post a Comment