Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Fly Reaction Paper

After watching The Fly, I was disturbed. The scene where the about-to-be-eaten ensnared fly is screaming in its teeny tiny human voice "Help me! Help me!" bothered me a lot. I was not disturbed that I finally understood the reason why the fly's head is white, but because I was terrified at what could have been the possibility of its development of a human intelligence equal to that of Andre's high IQ. Had either Andre or the fly lived, it would have been a morbid disaster. It has been established earlier in the movie that even though Andre can still communicate with his wife, the fly's instincts are taking over his will. I say that the movie entertaining as well as interesting. Terror is evinced not because of explicit scenes or images but through tapping the audience's imagination.

In retrospect, this movie could be a morality play. When his wife expressed her fear about how quickly technology seems to be transforming, Andre remarked:

"There are some things man is not meant to experiment with."(This quote pretty much captures the idea of what the film's view about science is.)

In the 1950s, America has been changing the world with science: the atomic bomb as the most notable example. The tinkering with molecules and doom after a successful science project in the movie is parallel to the scientific development of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment